Monday, June 2, 2008

"Balanced" UK Muslim Women




The majority of British Muslim women live a contemporary lifestyle while sticking to Islamic values and tents. (Photo through Google)CAIRO — The majority of British Muslim women live a contemporary lifestyle, want to marry their soul mate and tap into consumer trends while sticking to Islamic values and tenets, the Guardian reported on Sunday, June 1, citing a new poll.
"We're British and we love it here," said Talat Ahmed, a mother of three.
"I become so English when the Rugby World Cup is on," added Ahmed, who works in human resources for a charity.
The poll, by the Muslim women's magazine Sisters and Ummah Foods, a halal food business, found that 58 percent of Muslim women don't consider the racial background when making a marriage decision.
Two-thirds of respondents said it is important for their future husbands to be knowledgeable about Islam.
"But Asian culture confuses things too much and sometimes people get too involved with caste and background, which just isn't right and isn't anything to do with religion at all," said Farah Mulla, 27, who lives in west London and works in marketing.
The poll also showed that 37 percent of Muslim women see success as being a good Muslim while 32 see it as a combination of work and family life.
Fifty-two percent of respondents said they want to run their own businesses.
Seventy percent said issues affecting the Muslim minority in Britain, estimated at more than two million, are a priority for them while 21 percent said the Middle East is the most important.
Proud Muslims
Some Muslim women complain that society is growing intolerant towards Muslims.
"It's complex because living in the West we feel alienation," said Ahmed.
"The media and the government categorize Muslims."
A recent British study accused the media and film industry of perpetuating Islamophobia and prejudice by demonizing Muslims and Arabs as violent, dangerous and threatening people.
"We choose to be Muslim and we want to be respected and we want people to understand," she said.
"A lot of things get misconstrued because Islam is a private thing. I totally respect people of all religions. Sure we are British. We choose to live here."
The survey also showed that half of British Muslims see hijab as about dressing modestly.
"I'm proud of my religion, and being British as well as Muslim is important for my identity," said Mulla.
"I don't hide my religion though - I'll do things like pray at work, even if there are people around - that makes no different to me," she added.
"The Qur'an gives me guidance and praying puts me at peace. It gives me a sense of belonging.
"My faith is so important to me and I wouldn't want any misunderstandings or conflicts arising from that." sumber:Islamonline.net

No comments: